MIDlet manager news
In addition to thoroughly re-testing the WM2003(SE) compliance of the latest, just-released 4PDA.ru Jbed version (see the UPDATE section in my yesterday's post), I've continued testing the new MIDlet managers.
Iâ€™ve also tested some of the versions linked from the 4PDA.ru thread on my HTC Vox (s710) to find out whether theyâ€™re any good compared to the old MIDlet managers; particularly Cloudyfaâ€™s version - the version that, so far, Iâ€™ve recommended to all MIDlet users (unless in need for M3G (3D) support.). These two are both â€œfixed heapâ€ versions; some of the less simple games (for example, DoomRPG) and benchmark apps with large memory requirements are stated to run much better / more reliably in the fixed heap versions than in the regular ones (for example, that of Cloudyfa) because of the much bigger available memory. I havenâ€™t tested the effects of this myself.
1. JBed3dMod_HeapSizeFix (that is, 3D-capable Jbed version, based on 20070524.2.1, with fixed heap)
I was really interested in how this (and an additional, hacked file available for download HERE - just overwrite JBed.exe of the original, already-installed version with JBed3d_SreenFix.exe after renaming) worked because, at 4PDA.ru, thereâ€™s a version that promises flawless, screen problem-free functionality on MS Smartphones also compatible with the excellent Gmail client MIDlet.
So far, it seemed impossible to make the latter (the Gmail MIDlet) flawlessly work on MS Smartphones under any version of Jbed. An example of the display problems the non-hacked version (or any Jbed version) can be seen in the following screenshot:
Unfortunately, the hacked version (after overwriting the EXE file with the separately downloaded JBed3d_SreenFix.exe) doesnâ€™t really work with Gmail: while indeed the entire screen estate is used, the three lowermost menu items (Search, Compose New, Exit) arenâ€™t visible, just like with the non-hacked case:
Note that essentially the same results from the 4pda.ru folks can be HERE. The same problem also exists in Portrait mode, not only in Landscape.
All in all, while itâ€™s certainly a step in the right direction, you will still have problems with (at least) the Gmail MIDlet. If you absolutely hate the missing display area in the MIDlet listing on MS Smartphones with the old Jbed versions, you might want to consider upgrading, though.
2. Iâ€™ve tested JBedModHeapFix (02.01.08) too â€“ a somewhat extended and fixed Jbed version. While it does have certain advantages over Clodyfaâ€™s version, it entirely lacks music support and is based on the 20070802.2.1 version â€“ that is, the same â€œoldâ€ version as that of Clodyfa and not anything newer. I donâ€™t really recommend it if you need sounds / music, which is excellent in the Cloudyfa version â€“ again, unlike any other (earlier!) versions Iâ€™ve tested, including earlier Jeodek versions like the 20070425.1.1 version coming in the original (and just-updated) firmware of the HTC Vox / s710 and having very bad and distorted sound.
Note that the Jbed version lacks the the English jbed.exe.0409.mui file â€“ it only has the Russian localization, that is, jbed.exe.0419.mui. This means, unless you copy the (standard) jbed.exe.0409.mui file from, say, the Cloudyfa version to the new one, itâ€™ll have messed-up, invisible menus.
Iâ€™ve also tested whether these two versions, finally, fix the two biggest problems with the Cloudyfa version:
- itâ€™s not possible to install Cloudyfaâ€™s version on the storage card: with the new Jbed version, itâ€™s possible â€“ without any manual hacking. In this regard, itâ€™s much more recommended than Cloudyfaâ€™s. (Havenâ€™t tested the Jbed3D version in this regard.). That is, you can safely direct the CAB installers to install the managers onto a card: they WILL be installed there, not taking up any built-in storage.
- with Cloudyfaâ€™s version, itâ€™s not possible to start MIDlets from inside the Jbed interface if you use a localization using not strictly Western characters:
Fortunately, both the non-3D and the 3D versions available at 4PDA.ru are compatible with non-Western regional settings, unlike Cloudyfaâ€™s version.
(Note that, in the original Cloudyfa version, you can still execute MIDlets via a direct invocation link file if you have an otherwise incompatible regional setting, circumventing the standard interface listing all your MIDlets. This, however, needs some additional tinkering and, again, you wonâ€™t be able to select the MIDlet youâ€™d like to run from the built-in list of the MIDlet manager. Also note that Iâ€™m speaking of the generic Regional settings, NOT the language of MS Smartphones (you can easily change the entire interface language of MS Smartphone devices.). Your MS Smartphone language may be, say, East-European; if you still use some non-Eastern regional setting, the apps started from inside Cloudyfaâ€™s version will still run and you wonâ€™t need to use direct invocation link files.)
Also note that neither of these versions have any sound emulation. This, again, isnâ€™t a change from the previous 3D (M3G)-compliant version but can be VERY bad news for plain non-M3G-compliant Jbed users, as, again, the Cloudyfa version has excellent music / sound emulation. That is, stick to the latter if you need music.
UPDATE (some 5 hours later): Iâ€™ve also tested the latest Jbed version, JRebeiro_EsmertecJbed_20071119.3.1. Iâ€™ve already mentioned it HERE but, then, I didnâ€™t have the time to thoroughly test it.
- not possible to install it to a storage card by default
- display problems on MS Smartphones (as with all the other Esmertec Jbed versions â€“ except for the M3G-specific, hacked 4pda.ru version). Note that, again, this doesnâ€™t have any effect on how Opera Mini 4 or games work; only the main MIDlet manager MIDlet lists and, for example, the Gmail MIDlet are affected
- the latest version; reported to be very fast
- M3G compliant
- has sound (as with Cloudyfaâ€™s version)!!
All in all, highly recommended for gamers.
Also see THIS German language Pocket Players Reloaded article on the games itâ€™s compatible with.