How to install software on storage cards
Submitted Friday, December 8, 2006
During the process of installing third-party software on your device, you are given the option of selecting where you install the program. On WM 5 and WM 6 devices, a screen pops up on the device itself, prompting you to â€œChoose a locationâ€¦â€ Select the storage card option and tap on â€œInstall.â€ On pre-WM 5 devices, the installation wizard running on your PC will asks if you want to install the program in the â€œdefault application install directory.â€ Tap â€œNoâ€ and select a storage card as the installation location.
Here's how to do it:
If you install a lot of games, utilities, or other programs on your device, you’ll want to install them on a storage card to conserve internal memory. Follow these steps:
Windows Mobile 5 and 6
- Insert a storage card in the card slot on your device.
- Connect your Windows Mobile device to your desktop PC via the sync cable or cradle and make sure ActiveSync or Windows Mobile Device Center is running.
- If you haven’t already, download the third-party program you want to install from the Web to your desktop PC.
- Use your desktop PC’s File Explorer to find the third-party program you just downloaded and double-click on the file to begin the installation process.
- At this point, an “installation wizard” pops up on your PC and guides you through some pre-installation steps, which may include having to accept a software license agreement.
- After the “installation wizard” finishes up its part of the installation process, it will direct you to “check your mobile device” to complete the process. On your WM 5 or 6 device, you’ll see a screen similar to this one:
With a Windows Mobile 5 or 6 device, you select the program installation location from a screen on the Pocket PC (shown here) or non-touch screen smartphone.
- This screen allows you to choose to install the application on the “Device” (i.e., internal flash ROM), or on the storage card. Whichever option you select, you are shown the amount of space needed for the installation and the amount of space available in flash ROM or on the storage card. After you have selected the location, select “Install” to complete the installation.
Pre-Windows Mobile 5 Pocket PCs
- Follow steps 1 through 5 as described above.
- After you have completed the preliminary steps, the installation wizard running on your desktop PC will ask you if you want to install the application using the “default application install directory.” It’s asking if you want to install the program in your device’s internal memory. Be sure to answer NO.
- After you answer No, the Select Destination Media window appears, allowing you to change the installation location. From the drop-down list associated with the Save In field, select the Storage Card option and tap on the OK button. (Warning: If you do not have a formatted memory card in the slot, it won’t appear in the “Save In” field.)
- Complete the installation process.
Based on an article by Dan Hanttula from the April 2006 issue of Smartphone & Pocket PC magazine