How to record and play back a Voice Note
Submitted Friday, December 8, 2006
You can create and play back an audio recording on your device using the Voice Recording feature. To record one on a touch screen device, select Start >Programs >Notes and tap on the button with a red circle (or press and hold down the button assigned to this function). On non-touch screen devices, select Start >Voice Notes >Record. To play it back, open the Notes (or Voice Notes) application and select the recording from the list.
Here's how to do it:
The built-in Voice Recording feature lets you create short reminders and play them back at your convenience. This is particularly useful if you are moving from one location to another, and can’t stop to open up Calendar or Notes.
Making a recording on a touch screen device (Pocket PC):
The easiest way is to press and hold the button assigned to the Voice Recording feature. This is usually on the upper right edge of the device. When you hear a beep, start talking. If you’re in a noisy environment, hold the device closer to your mouth. When you’re finished, release the button. You can also make a recording from the Notes application. Follow these steps:
- Tap Start >Programs >Notes.
- Tap Menu >View Recording Toolbar. (Pre-WM 5: Tap the Show/Hide Voice Bar icon on the menu bar.)
- Tap the circular red button in the toolbar to begin recording.
- Tap the square black button in the toolbar to stop recording.
The recording will appear in the Notes list view, named “Recording1,” “Recording2,” etc. You can change these file names by tapping and holding the name and selecting Rename from the pop-up menu. You can also create a voice recording and embed it in a Note by opening a new, blank Note first, and then using the Recording Toolbar as described above.
Making a recording on a non-touch screen smartphone:
- Select Start >Voice Notes.
- Press the Record button and start talking. An analog timer will appear, counting off the seconds as you make your recording.
- Press Stop when you’re finished.
The recording will appear in the Voice Notes list, named “Recording1,” “Recording2,” etc. You can rename the recording by selecting Menu >Rename.
Playing back the recording:
You play back recordings from the the touch screen device’s Notes application and the smartphone’s Voice Notes. Open the appropriate application and follow these steps:
- Find the recording you want to play back from this list.
- On touch screen devices, tap the recording file and it will play back.
- On smartphones, scroll to and highlight the desired recording file. Then press the center button on the D-pad. (Alternate: Select Menu >Play.)
Based on information from Microsoft.com