How to use Word Mobile on touch screen devices
- Go to Start >Programs (or Office Mobile) >Word Mobile (pre-WM 5: Pocket Word).
- To open a new document, tap on New at the bottom left of the screen. A blank Word document will appear with the soft keyboard in the lower third of the screen.
- To open an existing document, tap on the document from the document list.
- Open a document in Word.
- Drag your stylus over the text you want to move or copy. This selects the text. (To select all text in a document, tap Menu >Edit >Select All (pre-WM 5: Edit >Select All).
- Tap and hold down on the selected text and the Edit menu pops up, allowing you to do the following:
- Cut or Copy the selected text
- Paste it elsewhere
- Clear (delete) the text
- Change the Paragraph style and Font (pre-WM 5: lists Font as Format)
- Check the Spelling of the selected text
- In a Word Mobile document, tap and hold anywhere in the document and tap Spelling from the pop-up menu. (Pre-WM 5: Tap Tools >Spell Check.) When an unknown or misspelled word is encountered, Word Mobile offers a list of suggested words.
- If the word is spelled incorrectly, tap the correct word in the list. If the word is spelled correctly, tap Ignore.
- In a Word Mobile document, select the text you want to turn into a list.
- Tap Menu >Format >Paragraph (pre-WM 5: Edit >Paragraph).
- In the List drop-down box, select Bulleted or Numbered. (Pre-WM 5: Check the Bulleted check box—the Numbered option is not available.)
- Tap OK to return to the document.
Align text in a document: Select the desired text, go to Menu >Format >Paragraph (pre-WM 5: Edit >Paragraph), and use the Alignment drop-down menu.
Indent paragraphs in a document: Place the cursor in the paragraph you want to indent, go to Menu >Format >Paragraph (pre-WM 5: Edit >Paragraph), and select one of the following options under Indentation:
Left: Change the left indentation of the entire paragraph. Right: Change the right indentation of the entire paragraph.
Special: Indent the first line in the paragraph or create a hanging indent. (Use the option labeled “By:” below this one to specify the size of the indent.)
Saving a document
To save and close a document, click the OK button in the top right corner. When you close a newly created document, it is automatically named after the first several words in the document and placed in the Word Mobile document list. (The document list is the default view when no document is open.) You can easily rename the document with a more meaningful name and move it to another folder or a storage card by tapping and holding on the file in the document list and selecting Rename/Move from the pop-up menu.
The formatting toolbar
You can do most of the formatting tasks using the formatting toolbar instead of the menus. If it is not already displayed at the bottom of your screen, open a Word document and select View >Toolbar. You can also use the formatting toolbar to do the following:
Created bulleted or numbered lists (pre-WM 5: Bulleted only)
Bold, Italicize, or Underline the selected text
Change the alignment of the text
Change the font applied to the selected text (pre-WM 5 only)
Change the indentation of the selected text (WM 5 and 6 only)